Trees which run along the length of Station Road form a living memorial to the men from Scholes who died during the Great
War of 1914 - 1918 and the World War of 1939 - 1945.
If the visitor stands at the War Memorial looking up Station
Road towards the A64 York Road, those trees on the left hand side stand in memory of the fallen from the Great War, whilst
those lining the opposite side of the road remind us of the dead of the World War.
|Parading to St Philip's Church for the service of Thanksgiving
they were planted, some of the trees, which are a mixture of Horse Chestnut and Lime, have been a favourite source of 'conkers'
for generations of Scholes children, especially as the trees line the final part of the route to school. In that capacity
alone the trees have become a central part of village life and are instantly recognisable to anyone from Scholes.
is a thriving village and living in the village is an attractive proposition for many people. With this in mind, a housing
development was planned for the land between the houses on Station Road and the former railway line. Access to the proposed
development was planned to be via a road built from Station Road, roughly opposite the parade of shops, and this would have
meant the demolition of one semi detached house and the removal of one tree, or more. In a direct response to this a representation
was made by Scholes resident and Parish Councillor, George Hall to Leeds City Council on behalf of the ‘Scholes Community
Forum’. The representation requested that the City Council make an order to protect the trees in perpetuity.
the request was turned down and so, unbeaten, an appeal was made to National Government through the Secretary of State for
Communities and Local Government. The Secretary of State took the view that this was a wholly local matter and refused to
view of the ‘Scholes Community Forum’ was that the men of the village who had served and died for their country
had lost their lives in Europe and further afield, thus making the matter anything but local.
|Standard Bearers passing the War Memorial
the help of Leeds City Councillor Alec Shelbrooke, and the Barwick in Elmet and Scholes Parish Council, Scholes Community
Forum continued to campaign and petition for the grant of an order to keep the trees protected. After a period of continual
struggle and frustration lasting two years their tenacity was rewarded and today, thanks to the tireless work of Councillor
George Hall and his able assistants the village now has an order which not only ensures protection for the Memorial Trees,
but provides a living memorial to those members of our community who have lost their lives as a consequence of their service
to their country.
mark the occasion of the granting of a Tree Preservation Order, the opportunity was taken to hold a Service of Thanksgiving
and Re-dedication in the Church of St Philip on Main Street on the afternoon of Saturday, 6th September 2008. A
parade marched from Station Road, acknowledging the War Memorial as it passed, before moving along Main Street and into the
church. Student Pilots of the Fleet Air Arm and the Royal Air Force marched at the head of the parade, followed up by the
Barwick in Elmet and Scholes Branch of the Royal British Legion, the Fellowship of the Services, Scholes Scout, Cubs and Beavers,
with representation from the Anglican and Methodist Churches of Scholes, Scholes Community Care and Scholes in Bloom.The service was held in the presence of Mr Michael Fox DL, HM
Deputy Lieutenant of West Yorkshire, accompanied by Mrs Linda Fox, Councillor Frank and Mrs Sheila Robinson, Lord Mayor and
Lady Mayoress of Leeds, Mr Colin Burgon MP (Elmet). Leeds City Council, Harewood Ward and Barwick in Elmet and Scholes Parish
Council were also represented.
|The Avenue of Memorial Trees, Station Road, Scholes
Service was conducted by Dr Alan Stanley, assisted by the Venerable Peter Burrows, Archdeacon of Leeds. Lieutenant Colonel
David Rhodes, representing the Yorkshire Regiment read the exhortation from Binyon’s ‘For the Fallen’, and
led the Act of Remembrance.
the service had broken up, an informal reception was held at 'Orlando's at the Buffers'